Who is?

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A wandering spirit, a nomadic heart. I go where the wind takes me. With no place to call home, everywhere I go is home. Concrete and soil. Land and sea. Home is where the heart is. Right here in my chest.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lost In Translation

I'm not going to lie. I was one of those arrogant English speakers that thought to herself "Oh, everyone in Europe speaks English! I mean, at least younger people will speak some" WRONG. In the bigger cities, such as Florence, this is mostly true, but in the country and even in the smaller cities, such as Pisa, you can find yourself easily lost in translation.

I my first experience with the language barrier was on Sunday evening after taking the train back from Florence. From Pontendera I had to take a bus into Fabbrica. The bus driver didn't speak any English whatsoever. This resulting in me getting off the bus at a transfer point and getting on another bus in which this bus driver also didn't speak English. Neither did any of the 7 other passengers on the bus. Not even the young ones. The only thing they can understand from me is that I need to go to Fabbrica and the only thing I can understand from them is that this bus is not going to Fabbrica. Now this is where I begin to panic. I'm on a bus in a foreign country and I have no idea where it is going.

Tears begin to stream down my face.  I'm exhausted from travel and I'm at a loss of what to do or say as young man and middle age woman try to communicate with me. All I can understand is "Fabbricca". The woman finally motions me to come over as the bus pulls to a stop. She takes me by the arm in a very warm and comforting manner and continues to speak in Italian. Although I cannot understand her words, I know she is letting me know I am being taken care and will get home safe. I show her the address to the farm that I have written in a note book as she walks me over to a van that is waiting for the young man. She explains to the driver my situation and shows him the address. He confidently makes it known that he knows how to get there and drives me right to the door.

So what did I learn from this experience? Never assume, an Italian/English dictionary is essential (it's on the shopping list!), and Italians are beautiful people. Thanks for taking care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment